This is a great little project to do with the kids, plus you are recycling your cans.
You will need:
- Any size or shape of empty drink can
- Stanley the Knife
- A small length of wire ~10cm
- A tea light
- Matches or lighter
Time to create our lanterns:
- Mark two lines around a clean, empty can, about 2.5cm from the top and bottom.
- With a sharp craft knife, make vertical cuts between the lines, about 1.5cm apart.
- Make a cut across the bottom of two adjacent strips to make an opening for a candle.
- Gently press down on the can to make the strips bend in the middle.
- Insert a tea-light through the opening, then tuck the cut ends of the opening strips inside the can.
- Attach a hanging loop.
TIP: You can also spray paint the can before cutting, if you like, to make it your favourite colour.
And there you have it, your lantern is already to go.